When you ask a male client about fitness and nutrition, you may get nothing but a blank stare. Â Ask him about the performance of a high end sportsÂ car and he will talk your ear off.Â It’s very simple,Â typically men don’t spend much time givingÂ health or nutritionÂ a second thought but when weight starts to accumulate around their waist, they become vulnerable to developing chronic diseases.
According to Today’s Dietitian, heart disease and cancer account for nearly one half of all male deaths in the U.S.Â ObesityÂ now affects one third of American men and isÂ aÂ significantÂ risk factor for heart disease, someÂ forms of cancerÂ and type 2 diabetes.Â Â So, how do you as aÂ weight loss coachÂ reach your male clients?Â According to Today’s Dietitian, men are more concerned about performance – sexual, mental, and physical performance which can be affected by those extra pounds around the waist.Â All these symptoms…Â lack of physical stamina, sleepiness, moodiness and lack of sexÂ drive can all be attributed to a large waistline.Â A good way to approach a male client about the need for weight reduction may be to talk to them about their everyday performance issues rather than disease prevention.
- Be specific about targeting the waist line for weight management rather than the whole body, men consider “weight loss” aÂ women’s health issue.
- LetÂ your male clientsÂ knowÂ during the initial session that they don’t need to follow a specific diet – men hate the idea of giving up theÂ foods they love.Â ThisÂ may open up a two way discussion on those more personal Â “performance issues”.
- Most men think salads are the only way to reach their weight loss goal.Â Give them a meal plan thatÂ they can relate to,Â like a 6 oz piece of chicken, fish, low fat frozen mealÂ or shelf stable entree.Â Â They may be pleasantly surprised at the idea of being able to eat something like chili, sloppy Joe, or chicken enchilada.
- Men typically don’t like to take the time to shop, prepare, or eat healthier so make itÂ simple for them. Have some food items around the clinic so you can show male clients how to check the labels for nutritional content and easy ways to prepare.Â The key is to show them, not tell them. Send them home with samples of products to try first and make meal planning as stress free as possible.
- Keep menus of local restaurants handy and circle items on the menu that would be healthy meal choices.Â Suggest they eat until satisfied rather than until full.
- Eating is an enjoyable activity for most men.Â They may beÂ worried that eating healthy will take the fun out of the experience.Â Show them how they can stillÂ have deliciousÂ mealsÂ by substituting high fat ingredients for nutritional ones. Today, there are so many nutritional weight loss products on the market, there should be a substitute for just about anything!
As aÂ weight loss coach, you can find creative ways to reachÂ your male clientsÂ by taking a performance based approach that will really resonate with them.
For information on how to purchaseÂ over 180 delicious nutritional weight loss products for your clinic or practice, download our freeÂ business information sheet.
FILL OUT OUR FORM TO DOWNLOAD A FREEÂ INFORMATION SHEETÂ NOW.
- Because there’s more to HealthWise than just great taste.
- Because we’re committed to excellent customer service.
- Because of our tried and true HealthWise Weight Loss Programs.
- Because we have a variety of resources to help your business to succeed.
WITH OVER 180 PRODUCTS AND 20 YEARS IN THE WEIGHT LOSS BUSINESS, HEALTHWISE CAN HELP YOUÂ BUILD A SUCCESSFUL AND SUSTAINABLE WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM.
Title image by Pixabay