Protein powders are a large product category with many choices. The types of protein powders can be divided into two categories, animal proteins and vegetable proteins.Â Animal sources include milk proteinÂ derivatives like whey and casein, beef and egg white protein.Â Vegetable sources include soy, rice, pea, hemp and sprouted grain proteins.Â So which protein is right for your weight loss program?Â Many weight loss experts will tell you whey protein is the champion and hereÂ are …5 reasons to use whey protein for your weight loss program:
1. Nutritionally and taste-wise, animal proteins are superior.Â Â Whey protein is the most popular of the animal proteins.Â Â Whey protein is derived from milk and is used in most protein powders.Â It is the liquid part of the milk that separates during cheese production.Â After being separated during cheese production, whey goes through processing steps to become whey protein, a powder added to shakes, meal replacements, protein bars and other nutritional supplements.
2. Whey proteinÂ is alsoÂ known to enhance one’s immune system.Â No question this is something we could all benefit from.Â Research has shown that several components in whey protein work together to improve immunity.Â Blood proteins called Immunoglobulins are incorporated into milk and whey. These proteins act as a critical part of the immune response by recognizing and binding to antigens like bacteria and viruses and aid in their destruction.
3. Whey protein for use in weight loss, improves satiety and aids in the process of weight loss by boosting metabolism, cutting food cravings, reducing the appetite and preserving lean muscle mass.Â Whey protein is known for helping with exercise recovery. Muscle tissue is made up mostly of protein and it needs an infusion of dietary protein such as whey which is rich in amino acids to repair the damage caused during exercising.
4. Whey protein may have additional health benefitsÂ whichÂ have been studied inÂ medicalÂ disorders such as depression, high blood pressure and elevated blood sugar levels.
5. Whey protein is one of the best studied supplements in the world, not too expensive and makes meal replacements, shakes and protein bars more enjoyable to consumers.
Experts believe that using a combination of whey protein and casein in the diet programÂ is best because the two animal proteins are different but have complimentary effects.Â Both are excellent sources of amino acids.
If you are looking for protein supplements for your weight loss program, HealthWise has a variety ofÂ nutritional products,Â manyÂ made with whey protein.
Sources: Choosing A Protein Powder by Mark G. Taylor M.Â S., authoritynutrition.com; eBioscience; Jan Annigan-Demand Media.